Saturday, December 13, 2008

Elf Who?? Elf Louise!






On Friday, we went to San Antonio to volunteer at Elf Louise with the homeschool group. Yes, there are groups around here, but the kids (and I) just really like the kids and moms in that group. This was wonderful, we had a great time. So, what is Elf Louise? It is a toy drive. The general idea is that after they receive the toy donations, the volunteers get an envelope with the children's names and ages. With that information we get to "go shop" the toys and then wrap them. They have the toys organized by age groups and the older kids are organized further into boy/girl rooms. It was great to see the kids actually think about what these children would want. There was one young boy (10yr I think), that would pick up something, and then change his mind before he even got out the door. I commented on how good he was, and his remark was "Well, I have lots of brothers and sisters, so I know what little kids like." We were the only ones there at first, but after 2 1/2 hrs, all the tables were full with volunteers. It warms my heart to see people helping others. We were there a few weeks ago to help get set up. Hallmark donated pallets of wrapping paper, we were unwrapping the boxes and boxes of wrapping paper. I had no idea it would be such a big operation. One of the ladies in charge, said they were serving 25,000 children, this year. Wow!!

2 comments:

Jo Jo said...

What a great thing to do with your kids. I've never heard of that, and I can't get over how many people are in need. It can only be on the rise. I count my blessings every day.

Unknown said...

9 months . you could of had a baby and who would know...but really - did you take pictuers Sat?